Kristen Stewart, Zooey Deschanel, Jennifer Aniston, Katherine Heigl, Blake Lively and a whole flurry of mediocre white actresses (who btw play the same roles OVER AND OVER) are always offered roles. Meanwhile, Oscar nominated/winning black actresses (who have won other awards prestigious as well) are struggling to remain relevant. Just because there are a lot of black led TV shows coming this fall, that doesn’t mean the struggle is over or lessening. Many of these actresses have had to move onto TV roles or do both because they haven’t been offered enough (or appropriate) roles.
Halle Berry won and then played a bunch of bit parts or had to produce her own movies to get meaty roles…eventually turning to tv on a show she’s producing.
Denzel won and then was either typecast, teamed up with mediocre action stars, or produced his own movies to get meaty roles.
Jennifer Hudson won and her reward was playing Sarah Jessica Parker’s assistant in Sex And The City.
Monique won and disappeared because she angered people by speaking up about the bs.
Viola Davis keeps getting the broken, disheveled mom or wise friend roles… and eventually had to turn to a Black female producer on tv.
like… you can’t tell me this is typical for white actors. we talk about how shameful it is that Leo hasn’t won, but Leo has no trouble getting good, challenging, interesting starring roles. Neither do Tom Hanks, Matt Damon, Angelina Jolie, Scarlett Johansson, Natalie Portman, Tom Cruise, Robert Downey Jr…. like… come on! and yeah, white women have it harder than white men, but let’s talk about how much harder it is for Viola Davis to get a decent role than Sandra Bullock.
True ass facts.
And all these women are immensely talented and can out act all the Jennifer Lawrences, Blake Livelys, and etc.
Lately, feminists like Annie Lennox, bell hooks and Emma Watson have taken issue with Beyoncé’s sexual openness. While trying to discredit Beyoncé as a feminist, they seem to have forgotten one of the most important parts of Chimamanda’s speech in ***Flawless."What does a lady dress like, exactly? And who decided what a lady looks like? What bearing should one’s clothing have on one’s identification as a feminist? This is exactly the kind of misogynist policing we’ve fought tooth and claw against for decades, and to level this line of “reasoning” at Beyoncé is not only antifeminist, it is despicable." (x)
This is important. I continue to see Black Americans not being credited for our culture, for the music genres we created. Jazz, Country, House music, Funk, Rock N Roll, RnB, Soul, Hip Hop etc- was created by Black folks. However the faces of those genres have completely changed to the point where Black faces aren’t even attached to our own culture.
Today in Solidarity (10.13.14): From Ferguson to Palestine, the revolution has arrived. In the early days of the protests in Ferguson, it was Palestinians who first reached out to offer guidance and wisdom in how to combat police brutality. What has flourished in the time since is one of the truest manifestations of global solidarity I’ve ever witnessed. This is how a moment becomes a movement. #staywoke #fergusonoctober #revolution.
Never forget…Dorothy Counts being mocked by an entirely white audience on enrollment day at Harding High School. September 4th, 1957
This was 10 years before both of my parents were born. This wasn’t that long ago, no matter how much they tell you it was.
My parents lived through this (1950b.). If your parents didn’t your grandparents sure as hell did. It’s not that long ago.
Michael Dunn has been sentenced to life without parole for the murder of teenager Jordan Davis. This sentence will run consecutively to the three counts of convicted murder he was found guilty of for the other passengers in the vehicle. Prayers to the Davis family. This sentence can never replace their child, but at least justice has finally been served. #staywoke
they’re not gonna let this show run for long
It was picked up for a whole season.
I vote that everyone watch this show or at least DVR it for the ratings to stay.
Anthony Anderson needs a show that will stay on the air and this one is a good one so far.
ABC has given POC a chance to shine this season. “Black-ish" and "Cristela" are our chances to revive ABC’s POC lineup. Don’t let it go to waste and keep our POC actors/actresses with the jobs that we have so desperately wanted them to have.
- Black people: *raises fist* Black Power!* cooks* puts on cultural clothing*
- Latinos: *Raises flag of individual nation* cooks* puts on cultural clothing*
- Asian: people: Raises flag of individual nation* cooks* puts on cultural clothing*
- White: White power! *considers every other race inferior*forces other races to give up cultures*spreads disease*commits genocide against a race of people because they're different and have land* Steals said land* kidnaps other race of people* enslaves them* brings them to said land* calls it the land of the free* rape,tortures, experiments, kills enslaved people* frees these people for political and financial reasons* dons white hoods terrorizes these people for over a century* takes pics smiling and having a picnic while these peoples bloody and charred bodies hang from trees* Makes souvenirs of these people body parts well into the 60s*sterilizes and experiments on these people without their consent up until the 70s(hell, probably still going on)* Creates beauty standard that no else can live up to* white washes history so that history begins with white contact and we have to do our own research to find out what really happened*Claims to be the only civilized race*
- And that's just scratching the surface of American history. History tells us that y'all just don't know how to have white pride without some kind of craziness ensuing.Why not just have national pride? Y'all know where y'all came from.
I still miss this show